10 Compelling Reasons to Buy In America’s Favorite City
By now, it seems like everyone on the planet is keenly aware that Charleston is consistently recognized among the world’s premiere cities.
Astonishingly, Travel + Leisure recently cited Charleston as America’s best city for the sixth consecutive year. Additional recognition for Charleston has recently come from Conde Nast, Forbes, Fodor’s, Trip Advisor, Huffington Post, Where to Retire, livability.com, 10best.com, Business Insider, Fast Company and the Wall Street Journal, among others.
Many of the reasons that make it a great place to visit confirm why it is an even better place in which to reside. Better still, Charleston even offers advantages from which only a resident can benefit.
- Charleston is ideally located. Charleston is a same-day drive from anywhere on the East Coast and an easy drive from the Midwest. Translated, those moving to the jewel of South Carolina are never too far from their relatives and old friends.
- Charleston enjoys seasons…except winter. It’s difficult to beat the weather. Residents enjoy the change of seasons, but few, if any, are upset that ice and snow are hardly ever in the picture.
- Charleston is historically beautiful. From the Battery and Rainbow Row, to its parks and plantations, to iconic Downtown Summerville and rural Wadmalaw, the Charleston area has placed incredible emphasis on preserving its history. The region’s natural beauty speaks for itself.
- Charleston is a foodie’s paradise. The region is now universally considered among the best restaurant cities in the country and talked about in the same way as New Orleans, San Francisco and New York City. Its famed Charleston Wine and Food Festival draws people from everywhere. Plus, what could be better in-home gourmet chefs than Its renowned farmers’ markets and fresh-from-the-dock seafood?
- Charleston offers virtually all types of outdoor fun. Recognized among the country’s premiere tennis cities, the region also serves as the backdrop for incredible golfing, boating, fishing, kayaking, paddleboarding and more. Biking trails of all sorts abound, and many communities boast marvelous walking trails as well.
- The people of Charleston remain its greatest asset. The region has truly become a ‘melting pot.’ The region’s residents, from native Southerners to the growing influx of people from the Northeast, the Midwest and the Far West, are consistently recognized for their gregarious and welcoming nature.
- Charleston’s beaches rock. Every local beach has something different to offer. Folly Beach offers Edge of America culture while Isle of Palms, Sullivans Island and Beachwalker Park in Kiawah have their own unique appeal. All are beautiful and nearby. Better still, the water temperature will never scare anyone away.
- Charleston is a cultural haven. Museums. Music. Art. Crafts. Theater. Poetry. Comedy. Charleston offers all that plus its world famous annual Piccolo/Spoleto Festival that takes place in the late spring of each year. Visitors come from everywhere for that event and the many others that occur regularly throughout greater Charleston.
- Charleston still reigns as The Holy City. With church steeples dominating downtown Charleston’s landscape and centuries long commitment to religious diversity, Charleston has certainly earned its moniker. There is zero need to worry that you might be worshipping alone.
- Charleston real estate remains undervalued. Despite rising house prices in most parts of the Lowcountry, a new analysis recently released by SmartAsset, a personal finance website that utilizes a model that projects home value per square foot based on how desirable a city is to live in, recognized Charleston among the most undervalued in America. Their researchers factor in livability metrics including crime, unemployment, weather, high school graduation rates and walkability to determine where residents are most likely to get the most bang for their buck in real estate. Its surprisingly low property taxes only add to the region’s appeal.
Yes, for the savvy buyer, Greater Charleston is clearly the place today in which to purchase real estate. Waiting simply isn’t a strategy that makes sense. As for what and where, the choice is all yours.
From a townhome to a mansion, from Downtown Charleston to Summerville, your ideal new residence awaits you. Are you ready to live life to its fullest in America’s favorite city?
At the Martin Freeman Group, we stand ready to help you find the perfect home in this amazing corner of the world that we get to proudly call home.